Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Living Frugally? How, in Europe?

I've been reading lots of U.S.-based blogs lately on the topic of frugal living. I'm very impressed by all the folks who manage their coupons and store-based deals so well. There are very few coupons here (at least, that I've been able to figure out). I'm really looking forward to coming back home and being able to buy some things in bulk. There's just no such thing here. I've been shocked by our food bills -- we can pay some extravagant prices on some things, especially things from home. For example, I paid over 5 euros yesterday for a box of PopTarts, and the same for a bottle of Hunts BBQ sauce. A small bottle of Golden Griddle pancake syrup is 8.50, and a package of chocolate chips is nearly 6 euros (1 euro is roughly $1.30). THIS is why my suitcases are always so food-laden!

Yes, I realize that I don't need PopTarts, or BBQ sauce, so if I buy them I shouldn't complain. But STILL....

Now, I realize that with 3 months to go, I've kinda missed the boat on trying to live in Brussels more economically. But better late than never, right? One thing I've decided to try, on occasion, is some line drying. I hooked up a line and some hooks outside and have done 2 loads of drying outside. Given the temperature, and the humidity, it takes a long time. But I was quite pleased with how well it (eventually) turned out. Few wrinkles, not crunchy, and I didn't have to use the inefficient (and LOUD) dryer. And, as a bonus, it gave T.J. quite a chuckle. Not sure what the cost savings benefit is, but it made me feel better. But, of course, last night, Jack's diaper leaked -- all over his bed -- and it's raining today. So today, I try some inside line drying.

How many of you are snickering?

The kids and I have also been making our own bread lately. We found a good recipe here for beginner's bread that is very easy (although Jack isn't very patient during the rising portion of the process). One down side is that Jack wants to make bread faster than we can eat it. So I've been making lots of French Toast (perfect for a quick breakfast and it can be easily frozen!). T.J. seems slightly concerned that this could be the signs of an impending midlife crisis (kidding, of course), but he's decided that if it is a crisis of sorts, making my own bread probably lets him off the hook pretty easy. Laura just sent me a recipe for another easy bread (here) and I think that's what I'm going to try next.

I also made (if I do say so myself) a wonderful tartiflette the other night (see here for a recipe similar to the one I used). It's with sliced potatoes, bacon bits, onions, and a delicious Reblochon cheese melted on top. The kids, amazingly, were the biggest fans. Amelia had 2 helpings that night and asked for it again the next night. I highly recommend it. (The cheese is just a very creamy, mild cheese. Not sure what it would be comparable to in the grocery stores of the U.S.)

School Days
Jack is starting full days at school now. I'm not sure how that's going to go. He still needs that nap, so missing it more often than not has made him a little cranky in the evenings. But he's so excited to stay at school with his friends and set the table.

Upcoming Move
There are still no official details on our move, so we're a bit in limbo. I'm still trying to organize, toss, and donate, while buying all those last things that I don't want to leave Belgium without (great grocery shopping bags, a Le Creuset pot from the market, a quilt for the guest bed, saddlebags for my bicycle). There will be a lot to do once we establish our move date, but until then, there are just a lot of hypotheticals. I just can't wait to get back into our house in July. T.J. can't believe that I just want to go sit in the empty house the first day it's empty. But I am just longing for the day. I will probably sit on the kitchen floor, dispensing ice and running the garbage disposal. Just because I can.

Anyone want to come help me strip kitchen wallpaper? I didn't think so. I'd eventually like to renovate the kitchen, but until then, I'd love a fresh coat of paint. But the wallpaper seems like an ominous job....

Our last vistors
A lot of folks are making their last-chance trips to visit us. My sister is here now (generously bringing Cheerios, fruit juice snacks, Velveeta, ravioletti, and baked cheetos). the weather hasn't been too cooperative, but we're trying to make the most of it. It is ironic, though. She came to Belgium to come shopping, and I can't wait to come to the US to go shopping!!

We did go visit the Atomium. I've been before (though never up in it yet) and finally took some photos.



We also took the kids to a donkey farm that is reportedly one of the most important donkey milk manufacturing sites in Europe ... I know, ew, right? It was a bit of a letdown, but the kids enjoyed seeing all the animals.





Midi Market
Just when it's almost too late, Susan and I discovere the Sunday market at Gare du Midi. Hundreds of fresh food vendors, and a plethora of other goodies (my big finds, a roaring, light-up, walking dinosaur for Jack and Littlest Pet Shop sock for Amelia). Our favorite, though, was a Moroccan food stand. They were selling delicious mint tea, which we had adored on our cruise to Morocco (a wonderful combo of green tea, sugar and fresh mint). And to go with it, a freshly made flat bread, filled with a soft feta-like cheese and roasted red peppers and drizzled with honey). I know I talk too much about food, but this is an exception. This, I could eat every day. In fact, I will try to return as often as I can on Sundays to get my fill. Pure heaven!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

No comments: