Sunday, November 16, 2008

Guy Fawkes Day Not a Hit

First, let me start by saying how much we all are going to miss Aunt Sandy. She passed away on Saturday after a valiant battle. T.J. and I were sad beyond words to be so far away from family at this time, but know that she was surrounded by immeasurable love and support. Her strength and attitude were an inspiration, and all of us are the better for her being in our lives.

T. J. left yesterday morning to be with family, and the children and I, regrettably, stayed behind. I thought it would be fun to take them to a fireworks show at the British School (unbeknownst to me it was actually a celebration of Guy Fawkes day). We enjoyed some hot dogs, hamburgers (yuck) and fudge (yum) in anticipation of the fireworks.

(If you remember my earlier blog about the fireworks display in St. Louis for the 4th of July, I bet you can see where I'm going with this...)

The fireworks start, and immediately the hysterics begin. Amelia completely lost it, and we had to beat a hasty retreat. Jack started to get a little upset, too, but I think it was only because Amelia was upset. We went to the car, and Jack declared "I love fireworks."

Daddy and Lemonade
No, that's not a comment on T. J. The kids, a few weeks ago, decided they really needed/deserved/wanted a pet. And thus we ended up with 2 goldfish. One relatively normal looking fish, whom Amelia named Fruit Punch, then Strawberry, then Lemonade. Then another crazy bug-eyed fish that jack named Daddy. The kids are barely interested in them long enough to feed them now, but I didn't expect any less. I'm actually surprised they're still alive...

Everything Else
The kids are enjoying tennis lessons and have been taking an "Aqua Fun" class on Fridays. Amelia still doesn't enjoy soccer but is hoping to try ballet instead.

She had another sleepover with her friend Elena on friday. Elena and her family will be moving back to the US in December, and the two girls are as thick as thieves. Amelia is going to be crushed when Elena moves. She came running to me the other day, excitedly saying "Mommy, Elena is moving to America. We live in America too, right?" When I answered yes, she started jumping up and down, excited at the prospect of future sleepovers. So we had to have a little geography lesson.

Last year, Andy gave Jack a rescue vehicle, and it came with a fire/rescue DVD. I brought out the DVD for the first time about a month ago, and it's been an unbelievable hit. He watches it several times a day, and now, he insists on me disconnecting my vacuum cleaner hose so he can hold it like a hose and make "whoooooosh" sounds. It is so funny.

More later. Looking forward to the holidays!!

No comments: