Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bye-Bye Baba, We Hate (Love?) to See You Go

While T.J. was in the United States this past week, I decided to take on the uneviable task of weaning Jack from the baba (pacifier). We started one morning on the car ride to school, talking about being a big boy and not using the pacifier anymore, and if he gave it up I'd get him a big fire truck. He seemed to agree, so I went to Carrefour to buy a big fire truck. Then I went home and I hid all the pacifiers. He went completely berserk and hysterical, and I decided that maybe cold turkey wasn't the right way to go.

But I kept the pacifiers hidden, except for 1. And at bedtime, I ask Jack if he wants to give his pacifier to the Baba Fairy, who will leave him a big firetruck in exchange for his pacifier. Very slowly, and slightly unwillingly, he deposited his pacifier just outside his door. He then spent the next 5 minutes staring longingly at the pacifier, saying "I will miss my baba." but he went to bed without tears, and I gave myself a premature high-five for my success.

He woke up the next morning, thrilled by his new fire truck. But by naptime, he was hysterical, begging for me to call the Baba Fairy to have her return his babas.

Interestingly, once he gave up the babas, he no longer wanted any of his socks (which I thought was kinda sad -- the socks addiction was strange but endearing). We spent the next 3 days without the pacifier, alternating between hysterics and pleading and calm resignation. So we're 6 days into it, and although he's asked for it, it wasn't even begging -- just a question. We even met the Harrisons for lunch and he wasn't bothered by Jacqueline walking around with her pacifier.

It was quite an accomplishment -- for him and me. Now, we just have to finish potty training and we'll be set!

We're having a nice snowstorm today -- it's not really sticking, but it's big flakes and the kids are enamored by it. Amelia sat on the radiator yesterday, making up songs about Christmas and snow. They're both so excited about Christmas. We put up the tree yesterday, since St. Nick arrives on Dec. 6 and we'll be leaving for the US so early. We wanted to be able to enjoy the decorations for a while. We had a prestrung tree, but most of the lights were burned out (and we hadn't had any success trying to get the lights working again in the US, and you can't use US lights in Belgium), so I spent yesterday with wire cutters, removing the prestrung lights. A lot more work than you might think, and I have a whole new appreciation for how many lights were actually on that tree.

Amelia's school had a Christmas market yesterday, and we had our family photos taken. Jack even smiled, without the comfort of a pacifier.

We're looking forward to being home for the holidays!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your the-byrds.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com