Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Belgium: Let's Put Chocolate on EVERYTHING

Really, now. I was at the grocery store today to pick up crackers, and I discovered chocolate covered rice cakes. See: it's impossible to eat healthy here, when they even cover their rice cakes! (By the way, I did buy them, and they were good. Even the kids love them.)

Amelia continues to have a great time at school. They had a mom's morning at school 2 Saturdays ago, and Amelia showed me all the things they do. She's even beginning to learn to spell, and she's doing a great job at sounding out words. Her favorite activity is drawing, and we spent lots of time drawing a fish. She came home one day with a picture of a flower that she colored in, and she even labeled "pistil" and "stamen." I guess it's time I brushed up on my long-forgotten school knowledge, because I have a feeling that I'm going to have to start answering questions soon!

Jack was the proud recipient of me slapping him on the back the other day, courtesy of a "Nose of Ghent" that Jack started choking on. I'm not sure how urgent the situation was (given our history, I tend to be quick to slap on the back), but he was making choking noises with his hands clasped to his mouth. I flipped him upside down, slapped him on the back a few times, and he spit out several chunks. It was nervewracking, as usual. So much for cuberdons in our house!

Next week is Carnivale holiday week. Amelia is off school and will be participating in a camp. Amelia's school will dress up on Friday in costume, and Jack has a costume party next week. Mardis Gras is definitely a big deal around here.

I successfully navigated my way to the Taxipost centre last week to pick up a package from the Wordens. I figured I had plenty of time: 2 hours to get downtown and pick up the package and get home for my final French Lesson. HA! It was over an hour to navigate through the city at the end of morning rush hour, and finally made it to Taxipost. I walked in and saw about a dozen miserable-looking folk, all sitting there, clutching their receipts, waiting for their packages. I patiently waited second in line until a Belgian walked in the door and immediately got in front of me in line. Given that I now had only 40 minutes to get back to the house and that no one received their package in the time I was there, I left. AND I didn't even make it back to the house in time for my lesson.

But the next day, I waited until after rush hour, and I got in and out with no trouble. What an adventure!

No comments: