Sunday, January 6, 2008

3 Urgent Care Visits, 2 ER Visits and a Stomach Virus in a Pear Tree

Of course, you know it's not the Byrds if we don't lead off with a health report. This time, I'll keep it brief.

The kids and I headed out to St. Louis before Christmas, and the kids did great on the Brussels to DC leg. But by the time our layover was done and we were on the plane to STL, it was the middle-of the-night Brussels time and the kids were exhausted. Jack was so tired he couldn't fall asleep and all he could do was cry.

I came down with a headache on the flight from DC to STL, and 2 days later, it was as intense as ever. I ended up in the ER, since no amount of Motrin was helping. They did an MRI and a neuro test, and decided that I just had a headache -- no stroke or tumor. I came out with some great pain pills, and a day later, I was feeling much better. Amelia came down with a stomach virus a few days later. Despite our magic anti-nausea medicine, we couldn't get her to stop throwing up, so we ended up back in the ER. Luckily, she was only starting to get dehydrated, but they gave her some strong antinausea meds, and by the time we got home, she was a whole new girl (even asking for pizza!).

We had a subsequent round of pinkeye (surprise!), but the rest of the US visit was sickness free.

The kids were thrilled with all of their presents and were, no surprise, seriously spoiled. We had some really great weather in STL, so the kids could go outside with their ride-on fire truck (complete with working hose and loudspeaker, plus a super-loud siren) and their first Porsche.

One of the big hits from Maryland were the boy and girl twin dolls that Jerry gave to Amelia and Jack (the kids had been BEGGING for them). We asked Amelia what their names were, and without skipping a beat, she said "Annabel and Mannabel." I don't think she knew how clever she was with the boy baby's name, but I had tears running down my face. She's a smart one.

We actually bought some beginning reader books for her (like "Dick and Jane"), and she's doing really well. Her teachers fully expect her to be reading this spring.

Back in the Routine
After a week of jet lag (I can't remember the last time I slept until 10 a.m. -- much less for 3 days in a row!), we've all gotten back in the swing of things.

The return to Belgium was a little harder for me than in the past. While I really like it here, there was a part of me that really misses shopping at 9 pm at the mall, and buying groceries whenever I feel like it. I had some big homesick pangs, but they seem to be in remission now (coincidentally just as the January sales heat up here??).

The Circus is Back
On the first day of taking Amelia back to school, we see the circus trucks setting up in the field across from Carrefour again. As a result, I now make a 4-times-daily detour to/from school so that the kids can see the animals. This time, it's 3 llamas, 5 little goats, 1 horse, 1 buffalo-like animal, and 1 camel. It's pretty sad to see them in their pens, but it was worse to see the tigers. There is one grown tiger and three babies, living in a semi. The doors are open just enough that you can see the animals. No room for them at all, and it's a pretty sorry existence. I really feel terribly for how they're treated. And I felt rather bad supporting it by attending the circus, but we did go today.

Jack is actually starting to be afraid of "roars" (which seems to be a general term for anything big and loud -- tigers, lions, dinosaurs). He keeps worrying about them being in the house.

But anyway ... we go to the circus today, and it's a mostly enjoyable experience. The "acts" are nothing spectacular -- juggling, clowns, plate spinning, doves, hula hoops. With few exceptions, it was more like a talent show than a circus. And despite the kids' fear/fascination with them, the tigers didn't make an appearance. The kids had a good time (even though there was no cotton candy), and we did too.

Other Stuff
Jack continues to babble at alarming speed. Most charming right now is when you say "I love you" and he replies "love too." He can count to 12, is practicing his alphabet, and can now touch the bottom of the pool in the shallow end ("mama, me so big"). We put in his application to attend Amelia's school (but a different classroom) next fall, which will be nice.

Amelia went on her first field trip and got to ride on a big bus. She still just adores school. We got the kids Leapsters while in the U.S. and it amazes me how quickly Amelia has picked up on it. She's practicing her letters and learning all sorts of things while playing. A great investment!

I had a humiliating wipe-out on my bike last week on my way to pick up Jack from school. I'll spare the stupid details, but I can assure you that I'll be sure to wear my helmet from now on. I've got some spectacular bruises on my legs -- right in advance of our first ski trip (snow trip?) to Switzerland. I'm really excited to take a day's worth of lessons -- but T.J. thought I was kidding. We've been so excited to be buying our snow and cold-weather gear, only to find that it will be in the upper 30s where we're going (fine by me, really!). I hope I don't have further leg injuries to report in a week or two!

We've been enjoying some mild weather (40s) here lately -- I just wish the sun would be up earlier. We're gaining a few minutes of daylight a day, which I'm thrilled about.

We're having Lingo (telephone) issues, so if you try to call, we may or may not be able to answer. My trouble ticket has been escalated by "Mike" in India -- I put his name in quotes because his real name CLEARLY isn't Mike -- and they *promise* to resolve it in 24 hours. Of course, our problems went from bad to worse once Lingo support started "fixing" the problem, so I'm not sure what will happen....

Happy Monday to everyone!

p.s. To those who are wondering, my birthday was much less ... how can I put this politely? ... unpleasant than it was last year. Jack's runny nose was the only illness, we got to go out to dinner, I sat down to enjoy a double lait russe (like a grande cappuccino) and I got some great accessories for our upcoming trip. Hooray!

No comments: