Tuesday, November 6, 2007

It's Not Vacation Till Someone Gets Pinkeye

I'll leave you with that teaser for just a few minutes while I fill you all in on the week's happenings.

Jack followed up his tiny pee on the potty with a tiny poop on the potty the next day at creche. I haven't been able to replicate the miracles at home, but we're working on it.

On Thursday, we headed to Strasbourg for the long weekend. We stopped in Luxembourg City for lunch and had a nice Italian meal. We walked around a little bit, but since it was a holiday and we were on a mission, we didn't linger too much.





We went on to Strasbourg and checked into our hotel. We had asked for connecting rooms, but, as usual, we didn't get them. We had rooms across the hall from each other. T.J. won the draw for the solo room for the first two nights, and I was looking forward to having my solo night on our last day there. (Big lesson learned there.)

We got there late on Thursday, so we had time for dinner and then bed. The kids actually did great all sleeping in the same room, and I secretly enjoyed being able to go to bed at 8:30. And T.J. enjoyed being able to go out to pick up some beer and then watch TV on the computer that we brought along.


The kids woke up bright and early the next day. We got some pastries and juice and had breakfast back in the hotel. Then we went off in search of the Neunreiter legacy (our ancestors emigrated from Strasbourg around 1870).


We took our address of the mysterious Neunreiter business and set off Friday morning in search of it. We took a tram (Jack was very excited) just outside the city center and took a 5-minute walk. We found the street, then I realized I forgot the specific address number back at the hotel. But, luckily, it was a very short street.

We almost passed it. As we were walking by, I peeked around a corner into what looked like a pavement courtyard with a big garage. And on that big garage was Neunreiter, S.A. (or something like that -- I took a picture). So far as we could tell, the business operates out of a big garage. An eldery couple pulled in to the courtyard (parking lot? I dunno), and I used my best French to try to explain. From what I could gather from them, Neunreiter Industries isn't booming. I guess they're more of a distributor (or glass and ceramics) or something now, and there's not a Neunreiter in charge. She did give me the name and telephone number of the man who runs it (or something; French isn't so good). Apparently, someone isn't there on a regular basis. So my hopes of coming home with loads of Neunreiter-embossed goodies were in vain. I was pretty bummed to be coming away with only a picture of a placard on a garage. It was like getting a picture of a lemonade stand.

So we walked across the street to continue our journey, and I turned back from one last look. Then I noticed the giant entryway (that we had walked into, but hadn't really noticed) and saw that there was a big stone archway into which was carved "NEUNREITER." Now THAT was impressive.

The entryway was built in 1906, I believe. Pretty cool. So back in the day, they were obviously much bigger. The entryway was attached to the building next door, which is now office space for some other company.

So still not what I had hoped, but it was pretty neat.

No Neunreiters in the Strasbourg phone book, but I don't think that included suburbs. One day, I'll have to come on a nonholiday week and try to go to city hall and see if I can go through records....




It was pretty neat to think that we were walking in the same places that former Neunreiters had been walking a century or two ago.


We found another carnival, no surprise, so the kids loved the rides. And we got some wonderful crepes. We did some sightseeing and walked around the city and had a great time.


On Saturday, we took a drive down south towards Colmar, France and stopped at Mount St. Odile. On the way back, we took the Route du Vins highway through the vineyards and saw a million wineries. We stopped at one (we chose it only because it was one of the few we found open) and got some red and white wines.


On the drive back to Strasbourg, T.J. started coming down with the virulent 24-hour bug that attacks out of nowhere (chills, fever, aches), and Jack was starting to cough and was starting with a runny nose. I ended up taking the kids out solo Saturday night to a traditional Alsace restaurant (I had a tarte flambee and hot wine, which was great!). The staff didn't seem so happy to see me (an American with 2 little kids), but they were pleasant enough. Amelia was pleading for a teddy bear, but luckily, all the stores were closed by the time we were done with dinner.


So I obviously didn't get my solo night in the hotel room, with T.J. being sick, so I had a third night with the kids. They were funny to listen to -- they would talk with each other, and Amelia was trying to tell Jack stories.


We woke up Sunday to Jack with pinkeye (again!) and a really goopy nose and bad cough, poor kid. We drove back to Brussels without incident and were glad to be home.


Tuesday -- It's Spreading
So I took the kids to the doctor yesterday -- they were scheduled to get flu shots. But Jack started running a fever, so I knew he wouldn't get one. I took him in anyway, to get some drops for his eyes (and also ended up with drops for the nose, plus 2 different kinds of cough medicines). Amelia got her flu shot, and woke up this morning with mild pinkeye in one eye.

So I went without contacts today so I could put homeopathic drops in my eyes in hopes of avoiding it spreading to me.


Both kids stayed home from school (Jack is still running a high afternoon fever, but feels great!), and we made a carrot cake for a tea party. We walked down to the market in bright sunshine, but 1/2 way there, it clouded up. By the time we finished our shopping, the heavens opened up, and it was a long, wet walk back. I had brought a rain cover for the kids, so they were warm and dry. I, however, was drenched. Rain was pouring down my face, and Amelia was clamoring for me to tell her stories. Not a fun adventure.


Becoming Official

I got notice last week that I can go pick up my permanent residence card, meaning I can travel freely. The police are coming by for a final visit on Thursday, and that will clear the way for all the paperwork.


That about sums it up here. We're getting ready to celebrate St. Nicholas day -- Dec. 6, I think. That's when the Belgians do their big gift-giving for the children. It'll be a nice way to celebrate Christmas here and then do the holidays in the States. I don't think we'll be doing a traditional Thanksgiving, either. Not much in the way of turkeys, cranberries, stuffing, or the like.


We're missing sunlight desperately. Getting dark by 5, and still dark around 7. It's only going to get worse ....


Have a great week!

No comments: