Monday, December 3, 2007

Who Said Ear Infections Aren't Contagious?

I don't think I mentioned that the stomach ick ran rampant through the house (sans T.J., of course) about 2 weeks back. Luckily, it was a brief virus, but intense. Jack came down with it at 1 a.m. on a Wednesday night, I got it Friday afternoon (and relapsed Sunday when I thought I was better and drug the family down to the Christmas market), then Amelia got it at 1 .m. on Sunday night. There was a lot of laundry involved in the middle of the night, let's say.

I also made the mistake of giving Amelia a bell to ring on Monday, as I demanded that she stay in bed and rest. I told her that the bell was for emergencies and when she needed me. It turned into her using the bell to give me the play-by-play of her My Little Pony videos. Needless to say, the bell was removed.

Let me just say that Motilium is the best anti-nausea medication EVER (for both kids and adults). I've thought about giving it as stocking stuffers....

The Christmas Markets
OK, I'm back (a little) in the Christmas spirit, after attending 3 Christmas markets this weekend. The markets are a little different than I expected. I expected it to be mostly Christmas items, but it ran the gamut -- blood sausages to scarves to jewelry to candy to Romanian wines to wonderful art. I picked up a few things and had a great time. We didn't linger at the Brussels market the first time (as I felt terrible). Then on Saturday, we went to Aachen, Germany (STARBUCKS!). It was super crowded, and not enjoyable for Jack and the kids. Luckily, there were some kids' rides, so T.J. took them there while I made a quick run through the market. We did get to enjoy roasted chestnuts and these wonderful shredded potato pancakes (deep fried, of course) with this fantastic garlic yogurt sauce. Here's the Web site, if you're interested (http://www.aachen.de/EN/ts/90_festivals_events/90_30/index.html)

There was a nice market in Stockel as well. And the big bonus was that it was under a big tent (BIG bonus during this weather, since it seems to be raining all the time). That was where I discovered gluhwein (or vin chaud, or hot wine). Very, very good! And then on Sunday I returned to the Brussels market (solo, this time). It was, by far, the biggest market, including a giant Ferris Wheel, an ice skating rink, and a few neat kids' rides. And then it started raining, which drew a big crowd to anyone selling hats. Of course, I got stuck on the metro trying to come home, but otherwise, it was a good trip.

Dec. 14 Update
We are now dealing with ear infections. Jack got one on Monday, and Amelia got hers on Wednesday. So now we're dealing with eardrops and echinacea, and Amelia is on antibiotics. Never a dull moment areound here. But luckily, the early illnesses should mean that we'll be healthy for our trip to the U.S. next week. I know that they say that ear infections themselves aren't contagious, but it's sure suspect that the kids got them within 2 days of each other. And the kicker was that they never had any other symptoms before diagnosis. Jack felt a little warm on Monday, but had a fever of just 101, but when I took his temp (by ear), that's when he said "Hurt me." Amelia woke up screaming on Wednesday and was literally in hysterics from the pain (I remember the feeling). The doctor said her infection was pretty spectacular, and she started throwing up from it. But all is better now!! (for now)

We've been having a fun time stocking up on fan favorites around here. I think I have a full suitcase of chocolate, plus 3 kilos of cheese.

The kids had their European haircuts today. The barber at the Gentleman's Coiffeur just loves the kids, and he even squeezed in a haircut for Amelia after Jack's today.

Tis the Season for Tipping
Service providers are NOT shy about getting their holiday season tips around here. We got a flier in the mail a few weeks ago from the trashmen, saying that they were "authorized to pick up their Christmas box in December" and to "Beware of impostors." What we learned is that everyone will come to your door for their tips. First the trashmen, then the recyclers (both arriving at around 7 p.m.). Today, the mailman brought the mail to the door for the first time ever. I've spent more time scrambling around for euros to give everyone! Then I found out there are 6 people in Jack's creche to buy gifts for, plus Amelia's teachers. It's a good excuse for shopping, I suppose. But then with Amelia being sick Thursday and Friday, I wasn't able to make my deliveries!

The Things They Say
Jack was playing with a little wooden Christmas train yesterday and broke off a bunch of pieces. T.J. asked if Jack broke it. Jack said (phonetically) -- "so suf, dada, ma fo" -- which, translated from baby, means "So sorry, Daddy, my fault." It cracked us both up. And if he hears us sneezing or coughing, he'll ask "Mama, Kay?" to see if we're ok.

Please forgive how some of this blog turns into an online baby book sometimes. I don't seem to have the time to write down all the cute things the kids do, so it seems like this is a good time to do it.

The kids have also been loving the musical cards that Jerry sends them. They took Jack's to the market today, which sings "Up on the Rooftop." The market vendors got a big kick out of them
as did the barber.

No comments: