Thursday, September 27, 2007

11 Hours in a Tin Can

Susan came to visit last week, and we had a great time. She and I made a solo train trip to Brugge, where we conned each other into buying whole hosts of things. My favorite purchase was a set of old chocolate molds, with baby bird designs. I figured -- birds? chocolate? -- a good souveneir of the Byrds time in Belgium. The whole family also made a trip to Namur, where they were having some sort of festival. More shopping, more games, more rides, and more cotton candy. Plus an old fortress and lots of cheap beer.

School Update
Jack is adjusting to school. We've had a few days of him not crying when I drop him off, but he's never enthusiastic to go. And if you mention the word around him, he'll just shake his head and yell "no". Oh, well. I think it will continue to get better (he's actually finally starting to eat at lunchtime there), so we take the small steps.

Jack caught another cold right on the tails of the first one. This one has resulted in a beautiful rash. The doctor suspects strep, but it could be any sort of viral infection. So we're waiting for the strep culture to see what happens.

I caught this second cold from Jack and was pretty miserable for several days before Susan arrived.

Long Flights
So we flew with Susan back to the US on Saturday. What a long day. They let us board first, and we got all settled, and we taxied to the runway. But before we got there, we had to go back to the gate, with the pilot announcing "mechanical problems." Of course, he doesn't say what those problems are. I'm a nervous flier anyway, and this does nothing to console me. They finally say that it's just a temperature control problem for the cabin temperature. So I'm relieved. But then we don't leave for another 2 hours! Not so relieved. By the time we take off, we know we've missed our connecting flight from Chicago to STL.

So the long flight begins. Lots of videos, lots of junky treats for the kids, not much rest for Susan and I. The kids don't sleep so well, either. But really, overall they did great. Just a few meltdowns.

We finally land, and as we're touching down, amelia announces that her stomach hurts. I take it with grain of salt, until she throws up halfway down the aisle (luckily, I had grabbed a few airsick bags, just in case). But the poor thing is a trooper and announces she feels much better and is able to muster the strength to pester her brother as we make mad dashes for baggage claim and customs (we learn we have just one hour before the next STL plane leaves).

Jack melts down in the line to recheck our bags, claiming he wants "more plane." After 11 hours on one, it's hard to belive, but he's serious.

After running like madwomen, we make it onto the plane just before they shut the doors. Amelia throws up twice more on the 45 minute flight, and I'm thankful that I brought the Belgium magic medicine with me that will stop her nausea ... if only I'll be able to find it in the suitcase.

Mom and Dad meet us at the airport, and Susan and Mom wait for our bags and plan to take a cab, while the kids and I go with Dad in the car. One more throwing up for Amelia in the car. Fantastic. The kids are as droopy as can be (by this time, it's 1 a.m. for them, Belgium time, and they've barely slept all day). They revive some with all the goodies at the house and manage to soldier on.

They crash pretty early, but I'm optimistic. Shouldn't have been. We were all up at 2 am. For good.

I take the kids downstairs and pop in a video. I figure I'll make the most of being up, and ride the recumbent bike for an hour while I sip my coffee. So even though I exercised, I ended up eating several breakfasts that day before we even got to 8 a.m.

Followed by two more mornings of the kids rising at 4, and up multiple times during the night.

But last night (Tuesday), they both slept soundly all night. Jack slept till 6, and Amelia was awake at 4 but tossed and turned in bed until Jack got up.

Miscellaneous
I think I've been to Walgreens every day! Just because I can! I've had only 2 Starbucks so far, but I've done lots of shopping. It's a good thing I brought extra suitcases!

We've enjoyed the warmer weather too. We've finally gotten a chance to wear our warm-weather clothes.

Jack is obsessed with being downstairs (in the basement, where all the toys are) and out on the deck, where he splashes his hands in the birdbaths (sanitary, no?).

His new phrase here has been "Momma (or whomever) -- are you?" (asking where we are). It's just so cute.

They got measured for new shoes today at the same place I got my shoes when I was their age. They were so adorable that the cashier gave us 5% off our purchase, plus cookies, balloons and stickers. They also had the staff at the dental office (yes, family day at the dentist) oohing and aahing over them.When asked to show his teeth, Jack opened his mouth wide, and then curled his lips over his teeth, like a toothless old man. I guess his teeth are OK, but he wouldn't look anyone look at them.

We're having a lovely time, even though we miss home. More soon, and pictures will follow, but not for another week or 2. Hope 2 blogs in one night help make up for my absence!


No comments: